Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Sin City

Wonderful. One of my new favorite movies, right up there with Brazil, Miller's Crossing, The Godfather I and II, Last of the Mohicans, Heat, Apocalypse Now, Jaws, Leon the Professional, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, and Lord of the Rings.

Sin City's violence was gorgeous to watch... which is probably bad in some sense. But I like my violence stylized and beautiful. Is it realistic? Not in the least! But real violence turns my stomach. The filmwork, black and white with the occasional splash of color was unique. The dialogue and characters are over the top in a way that I found fun. You’ll know by the first story if you’re going to like it, hate it or love it. By the time Marv finishes his good deeds you should know if your staying or should be walking out.

Oh, as far as adaptations go, it’s right there at the top with Lord of the Rings. Movie Jedi and friend, Dtorg, states the movie was story-boarded straight from the comic. It shows. The graphic novels by Frank Miller filled me with shock and awe (they were sooooo dark and fun). The movie stayed true to the material and succeeded because of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home