Saturday, June 23, 2007

Peru: The Flight In, Lima, Cuzco

What the hell have I done since March 11, 2007?

Visited Peru from March 24th through April 12th. Watched Rik’s two American Eskimo dogs for about a month. Worked. Played volleyball three to five times per week. Dated. Ran the Hound at the park on the weeks I have him. Hired a maid. Spent some time with my family. Played Civ IV. Began planning for a trip to Inida in the fall. Sorted through many Peru photos. Did physical therapy for the knee I sprained in Peru… So, it all starts with Peru…

The Flight In

Bored in Miami.
Close, loud-arguing Haitians.
Turn up the iPod.

Someone broke the plane.
Delay followed by delay.
Peru, close but not.

IPod: Sinatra.
They say a plane is coming.
Pace, drink, sit: repeat.

The plane bucks and drops.
Darkness and light etched coastlines.
My butt falls asleep.

Lima

Flew in and can’t sleep.
It hits me: I’m in Peru!
Dumb adrenaline.

Morning in Lima.
Post flight attempt to shower…
No water pressure.

Welcome to Gang Wars.
Ted was robbed. We’re both OK.
Day one is over.

Each house a fortress.
Graffiti, garbage and dirt.
Glad to leave Lima.

Cuzco

Cuzco morning stroll.
Fog, people drift across streets.
Clouds loll on mountains.

Need morning coffee.
I am up before Cuzco.
And now, it seems, lost…

Main Square in Cuzco.
Gold gilded church, beggars lurk.
Uniformed school girls.

Before eight A.M.
I sit on a bench and write.
And I’m sun-burning.

Thick black ponytails.
Inca, Spanish, Mestizo.
Great hair in Peru.

Women with llamas.
Five soles for their photo.
We pay, then they run!

Street kid unagi.
She’s selling finger puppets.
She frowns and I pay.

What’s on the menu?
Alpaca, guinea pig lunch.
They’re cute AND tasty!

Disco in Cuzco.
Beat moves women’s hips, shoulders.
Hair flipping follows.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home