Monday, April 24, 2006

The Disc

For the last few weeks I’ve been playing Ultimate Frisbee, here in Madison. I have some observations.

I am not good at this game. I am out of shape. I found myself huffing around the field, chasing down the disc, wondering, ‘What are you doing?’ Only experience can answer this question, as long as I don’t quit. What am I doing? I’m getting better at it. I’m getting in shape.

The first weeks, like any new hobby/activity/adventure, I learned much. I learned basic tactics and terms. I learned about the zone defense and I learned the dire repercussions of not playing the zone defense correctly. I learned that when you get steamrolled you should call a foul (in my defense, I was confused and dazed). I learned that a novice should seek out opposing novices and stick to them. I learned that if I play three straight points I’m done for the night. I have begun to learn a forehand throw. I learned to STAND UP before I throw the disc. I am learning patience. I have learned that during the normal course of events in daily life, I never, ever, sprint. The guys who play have been accommodating in the extreme, explaining a great many things to me and helping me with my throws.

Even this bit of exercise a few times a week seems to have an effect on my mood. Endorphins, I’m told. The other two positive effects are that when I’m exhausted I sleep more consistently (through the night, more or less) and it makes me hungry enough to eat…

3 Comments:

At 8:35 PM, Blogger Alice in Wonderbread said...

Yes extreme is good.

Avoid the cookie dough Gatorade! Other than that, it's wide open.

Put out a welcome mat for Sarah Tonen in your noodle.

I haven't gotten Ultimate Frisbee yet. Is it very much like football rules?

 
At 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kev we missed you yesterday!!!

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger 3XHAR said...

Not like football, other than you score by having someone catch the disc in the endzone.

Think soccer: no contact, much more of a passing game. You cease running when you catch the disc, then pass downfield until you get someone to catch in the endzone, or the defense forces a turnover.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home