Thursday, June 23, 2005

3XBARF

Monday night, starting at about 4:35pm, I spent an epic 18-hour marathon on the bathroom floor. My Lisa, poor Lisa, was subjected to the sounds of volley after volley of strange and exotic gastrointestinal catastrophe. I couldn’t even keep down two mouthfuls of water.

I tried to go to work yesterday and came home after about an hour and a half. Today, my manager and the director of my department sent me home after I had a salad for lunch. That’s what you get for eating like a rabbit. They said my color was changing as they were watching me…

My symptoms: vomitting, headache, maybe a slight fever at times. [As of this writing, my current rabbity lunch is still inside my body.]

Anyway, this bout of illness has allowed me to catch up on many movies and TV shows. While ill I have watched ‘The Last Samurai’, ‘Shrek II’ and the entire series, ‘Band of Brothers’.

Watching ‘Band of Brothers’ all the way through was kind of a treat. Easier to follow than watching weekly installments. Very moving. It’s one of my favorite TV series, right up there with ‘From Earth to the Moon’ and ‘Sopranos’. Ah, cable series…

Prior to my illness I had watched the following films on the Sony: ‘Gladiator’, ‘Blackhawk Down’, ‘City of God’, ‘The Outlaw Josey Wales’, ‘Donnie Darko’ and parts of ‘Return of the King (yeah, the Minas Tirith battle)’ and ‘The Hulk (the tank fight)’.

I hadn’t seen ‘Shrek II’, ‘Donnie Darko’, or ‘City of God’ previously. I’d highly recommend ‘City of God’ and ‘Shrek II’, and recommend ‘Donnie Darko’ if you’re looking for something surreal and trippy like ‘Pi’ or ‘Vanilla Sky’. I’d suggest watching ‘City of God’ after you watch the documentary that’s part of the disc. Grim.

I can’t write more. Have to lie down.

1 Comments:

At 1:49 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Having seen only the original version of Donnie Darko (not the "director's cut" that's out now), I regard it as an interesting failure. It doesn't quite work, but it at least fails to work in interesting ways. Ultimately, it fails to convince me that the world really needed a teen-angst/suicide-fantasy version of 12 Monkeys, but it's interesting to watch, and I praise them for at least having more ambition than most movies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home